Thursday, November 14, 2013

You Can't Save A Snowball. Part 2



It’s the craziest feeling when you throw out an idea, and you are waiting to see if you crash and burn. When I suggested a coffee group for local moms I really wanted it to work. After an online chat with some ladies, the plan was hatched that we meet the next morning for coffee. That night I went to bed with all the hope and wonder of a small child. During the week go in to work at 6:20 am, most Mondays I drag myself out of bed. This morning was different I jumped up ready to take on the world with a force more powerful than the Dark side (that’s Darth Vader for the non-geeks).


Everything was going great, my class of kids was well behaved, and I did some chores before heading down to Norm’s Coffee. I have the weird habit of being too early for thing I’m excited about (it must be my subconscious leaking out). I got to Norm’s 20 minutes early. I nervously looked around to see if any other ladies had already made it. I was there first, not surprisingly. I ordered a hot tea and found a nice seat by the window. Soon there was a familiar face, I had never met her but I recognized her from the little picture on Facebook by her post. We smiled at each other then I asked if she was here for the coffee group. In that moment that she said yes my nervousness and worries floated away, with the thought that someone else was looking for that exchange of understanding of what it is to be a mom.

The conversation that followed flowed so effortlessly; it was refreshing. She shared that her family of 5 was new to town, I shared tips on places to shop in the area. We talked about current topics and where the world was heading. The subject would return to our families or then to how we wanted to reach out and give others this same opportunity. The whole time I was amazed by how it felt just to chat. Ideas of future meet ups and activities for the group bloomed with the desire to give this feeling that our chatting brought to us to other moms. That flurry of a question -Is there a coffee group of moms in Newton? Was now a snowball in our hands with so many possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment